Labiaplasty: A Uniquely Personal Rejuvenation
As women, we don’t often openly discuss the appearance of our nether region. However, more and more, women are coming to UNC Aesthetic & Laser Center and inquiring about labiaplasty. Helping to improve the appearance of the external genitalia, labiaplasty makes the area more aesthetically appealing as well as physically comfortable.
Why women consider labiaplasty?
Unique to each patient, many women choose to undergo labiaplasty for a mix of physical and cosmetic concerns. At our practice, women often express their concern about:
- Due to excess labia tissue, many women experience pain and feel uncomfortable when participating in exercises such as yoga or bicycling.
- Because of excess tissue, some women are self-conscious of wearing a bathing suit, yoga pants, or other form fitting attire.
- It is not uncommon for a woman to experience pain during intercourse, including chafing, tearing, rashes, and bleeding.
- Some women avoid intimate situations because they are displeased with the appearance of the external genitalia.
- After childbirth, many women notice a change in their vaginal appearance, length, and amount of tissue present.
- Certain positions, such as crossing ones legs, may be uncomfortable for women with excessive tissue.
What is vaginal rejuvenation?
While often called “vaginal rejuvenation”, this term can be misleading. Labiaplasty is designed to exclusively rejuvenate a woman’s external genitalia. Most often, excess skin is trimmed from the labia minora (inner lips), labia majora (outer lips), and clitoral hood. When necessary, the mons pubis (the rounded mass of fatty tissues lying over the join of the pubic bones) is tightened or reduced in size. The internal genitalia (the vagina) is not altered during labiaplasty.
Will labiaplasty affect intimacy?
One of the first questions our physicians are asked by many women considering labiaplasty is, “how will labiaplasty affect normal sexual activity?”. After the initial recovery period, which typically lasts six to eight weeks, you are free to resume sexual intercourse. Labiaplasty does not change any erogenous sensation nor does it affect a woman’s ability to achieve orgasm. More confident with their bodies, many women feel more sexually empowered.
Does labiaplasty last?
Labiaplasty results are permanent and discreet. Excess skin is permanently trimmed and your skilled surgeon will discreetly place the incisions so that they are hidden in the natural creases and folds of the external genitalia. A concern for many women, pregnancy and vaginal childbirth will not stretch or undo the results of your labiaplasty.
Labiaplasty at UNC Aesthetic & Laser Center
At UNC Aesthetic & Laser Center, we understand that labiaplasty is a private and very personal procedure. Our goal is to help a women look and feel normal and confident in the appearance of their genitalia. If you are interested in learning more, please schedule a private consultation with one of our fine surgeons.